Do you want to know an easy way to use SAWO WordPress Plugin for Secure Authentication? Then, you have successfully landed on the right article.
Imagine a world with no passwords. Will there be lawlessness? Or would it be faster and more secure? Being in the IT sector, you probably have heard a lot about the importance of maximising security while minimising user friction. And considering the number of people who create a weak password for ease in remembrance but end up forgetting anyway, passwordless authentication seems like a life saviour for both organisations and users. By minimising risk and removing the hassle, passwordless authentication. It is the ideal solution to balance security and user experience on websites and mobile applications.
However, the thought of going completely passwordless raises more questions than answers. What exactly does it mean to authenticate without using a password in WordPress? Is it less or more safe? How does it operate? How plugins like SAWO for WordPress can help? Continue reading the blog to learn more about the what, why, and how of secure authentication of WordPress websites along with knowing how to improve your users’ experience and overall security.
A Brief About WordPress Passwordless and Secure Authentication
Passwordless authentication is a type of security authentication that is usually quicker and convenient than traditional authentication methods. It enables people to log in without having to remember their password or even authenticate without the hassle of OTP.
Individuals have to submit their mobile number or email address in the place of username and password, and they will get a one-time code on the registered phone number or email address. Users can then use that link to log in and future authentications will be a breeze.
The major goal of Passwordless authentication is to deliver solutions and support use cases that reduce, if not eliminate, the use of passwords. This is a critical goal because passwords have long been associated with usability concerns and security dangers. Let’s have a quick look at some of the benefits of Passwordless and Secure authentication of WordPress websites:
- Better customer experience because users don’t have to sign up with username and password again and again.
- Since the data breach costs took up 39% of an organization’s budget in 2020 alone, Passwordless authentication saves the total ownership cost of the companies.
- It enhances the security factor of the websites as 52% of data breaches last year are caused by malicious attacks from breaking through passwords.
Does Passwordless Auth really matter?
Despite the attempts to raise password security knowledge and reinforce regulations, people continue to use insecure and potentially dangerous passwords. Google reports show that 66% of Americans use the same password across multiple online accounts.
Some firms are mandating increasing password complexity and more frequent password changes to combat this issue. This, however, exacerbates the problem by increasing the probability that users may jot down their passwords or use the same password on various sites. It also comes at a cost, as helpdesks are frequently burdened with excessive password reset requests, which is a time-consuming and costly process for all parties concerned.
Passwordless authentication is a considerably better and safer technique of guaranteeing that only the appropriate individuals have access. This eliminates the security dangers and usability issues that passwords provide.
A Full-fledged WordPress Plugin for Secure and Passwordless Authentication
Research shows that 38% of users bounce right from the login screen because of forgotten password issues. However, a passwordless authentication plugin by SAWO is the best way to solve this problem. SAWO is a customer-centric and device-based security authentication technology for both applications and websites that eliminates the need for login passwords and OTPs, resulting in a more seamless user experience.
It utilises robust Public Key Cryptography-based protocols and users’ devices to create a stable and secure method to authenticate users without necessitating the use of passwords. SAWO WordPress plugin is designed for innovative and revolutionary businesses that don’t want their users to go few steps extra or get stuck during authentication.
It enables administrators to create, deploy, and manage user authentication through a 6-minute process. Sawo’s WordPress plugin is as simple as it gets; when compared to a typical login user flow, it is frictionless, integrates rapidly with your existing website, and is inexpensive.
Simple 6-minute steps to get ready with SAWO
- Start by logging into the SAWO dev console and creating a new project along with copying the API key.
- Log into your WordPress admin panel and go under the plugins section. Search for SAWO and you’ll see “SAWO Labs” in your search result.
- Right after the installation, activate the plugin and click on the ‘Appearance’, and then ‘Widgets’.
- Now add this widget where you would like to add the Login button on your WordPress site.
- Now paste the API within the SAWO widget that you’ve copied in step-1.
- You’ll have the option to enter the desired text that is to be displayed on the login button. And right after entering it, click save.
- Congratulations! You’ve successfully integrated the SAWO Plugin for Secure and passwordless authentication on your WordPress website.
How SAWO’s Passwordless authentication works with WordPress
1. For businesses having both websites and apps
SAWO will display a popup when users connect to your website, asking them to confirm the login on their device. SAWO will further trigger a push notification through the app asking users to “Approve” or “Deny” the authentication process. The user will then be signed in to the website after the approval.
2. For businesses having only a website
Because there will be no application for approving the logins, organisations will have to utilise SAWO’s Web SDK to authenticate users by sending them a Magic Link or a One-Time Password through email or phone. The Web SDK takes care of transmitting and authenticating the code or link and allowing users to log in to the website without any hassle.
Features of SAWO’s WordPress Plugin for Secure Authentication
1. Enhanced User Experience
SAWO WordPress plugin for secure and passwordless authentication ensures a trusted solution for all small to big organizations irrespective of their total number of customers. It quickly validates the identity of the users with one-step authentication, providing users with an improved experience.
2. Multiple Authentication Choices
Users can choose from a variety of authentication methods, including push notifications, magic links, emails, etc. This ensures that the login and authentication process is simple and quick.
3. Top-notch User Security
SAWO restricts access to only trusted people and devices, preventing credential theft and exploiting of data to third-party organizations or individuals.
4. Increases Conversion Rate
SAWO intends to eliminate passwords from the system and replace them with simple One-Step Authentication. This simple change can increase the conversion rate of a WordPress website by 54% along with bringing down the bounce rate.
5. More WooCommerce Sales
Forgotten passwords cause one out of every three online purchases to be abandoned. By replacing passwords with SAWO, you can prevent more abandoned carts and therefore, increase the revenues.
Traditional Authentication V/S SAWO Secure Authentication
1. Password Authentication
This is the most popular and extensively used traditional authentication method. A password is a user-made string of alphanumeric and special character values. A password is the weakest secured method and most easily broken authentication method.
- From the Sign-up page, create the credentials (email and password) for accessing the application or a website.
- You must now accept a smartphone push message, provide a one-time passcode, or press a security key to proceed.
- Remember the credentials for login in future and repeat the authentication process again and again.
SAWO on the other hand streamlines the process by providing a One-Tap Authentication Solution that eliminates the need for passwords and OTPs.
- From the sign-up page, enter the phone number/ email id
- Authentication completed
2. OTP Authentication
This is another most popular way of authenticating users. The OTP authentication, if done traditionally, may sometimes fail from reaching out to the users or takes a lot of time. This prevents users from getting into the website and therefore, increasing the bounce rate. The traditional pattern is:
- Users have to enter their Phone/ Email
- Moreover, OTP is received via SMS or mail
- Authentication is completed
But SAWO cut-shorts the process and ensures that users don’t have to waste time while getting authenticated. Their WordPress plugin offers One Tap Authentication Solutions without the use of OTPs and makes the process a breeze.
3. Biometric Authentication
It is one of the most secure ways of authenticating users. However, the traditional way of going with this method for your WordPress website or application can be a bit long. Users have to go through the following steps:
- Enter details such as name, email, phone no etc during the signup process
- Provide fingerprint authentication
- Lastly, the Email authentication and use of biometrics for future processes
With SAWO WordPress plugin, users don’t have to provide the biometric repeatedly. They only have to provide the email and phone number and the biometric will be triggered from the device itself for authentication.
- Provide your phone number and email id on the sign-up page
- SAWO plugin will offer one-step authentication to the users while utilizing biometric which is the same as your screen lock
- Authentication completed
4. Robocall Verification
Robocall is an effective traditional process to authenticate users that are utilized by big names in the industry such as WhatsApp. However, this is not an ideal one. People having network issues or living in a remote area can potentially face lots of issues and may end up not receiving the verification call. Users have to:
- Provide their phone numbers
- Receive the call on the registered number and sometimes they have to note down the code provided on the call
- Authentication completed
But to eliminate all this hassle from your WordPress website, you can opt for One-Tap Authentication Solution by SAWO WordPress Plugin. This eliminates the need for robocalls for secure authentication of users and also saves the overall cost. SAWO’s simplified plugin only asks users to provide their phone number and email id.
Pushing Security Gears of Your WordPress Site to Extreme
However, following the below-mentioned points will add more feathers to the cap and your WordPress website will be 360-degree secured along with a better user experience.
1. Using a Reliable Hosting Service
Your WordPress hosting service is the most critical aspect of your WordPress site’s security. Therefore, always make sure to go with a competent web hosting that can manage the following things in the background:
- Keep an eye on the network for any questionable behaviour.
- Have in-build tools to prevent large-scale DDOS assaults.
- Also, it Prevents hackers from getting exposed to a known security weakness in an older version. Regularly maintains server software, PHP versions, etc.
- Comes with data recovery and incident policies for preserving the user’s data in the event of a significant calamity.
2. Disable File Editing
WordPress includes a code editor that enables users to edit theme and plugin files directly from the WordPress admin account. In fact, this functionality is sometimes a big security concern as it can easily go into the wrong hands.
Therefore, it is suggested to turn this feature off. Add the below-mentioned code to your wp-config.php file to accomplish this.
// Disallow file edit
define( ‘DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT’, true );
3. Limit Login Attempts
WordPress enables people to sign in as many times as they wish by default. This exposes your WordPress site to some critical brute-force attacks.
Hackers attempt to crack passwords by logging in with various combinations. This can be readily rectified by restricting a user’s number of failed login attempts.
4. Disable PHP File Execution
Limiting PHP file processing in directories where it isn’t needed, such as /wp-content/uploads/, is another option to improve WordPress security.
You can achieve this by pasting the following code into a text editor like Notepad:
deny from all
Then, using an FTP client, save this file as .htaccess and upload it to the /wp-content/uploads/ directories on your website.
5. Automatically log out Idle Users
Users are often found to log in and leave their screen for a longer time create a huge security risk. Someone can take control of their session, change their passwords, and modify their account.
To prevent this, organisations have the option to install a WordPress plugin that automatically makes users log out from the sessions. Moreover, these plugins even allow users to set the timer and a logout message as well.
Brew of the blog
Including a passwordless authentication module in a post, website, or widget is a great method to secure your site while avoiding the use of insecure passwords. You can easily install the SAWO WordPress plugin anywhere on your WordPress site and have a secured and passwordless authentication.
This eventually saves users from going through the various hassle and time-taking processes of logging into the website or app. Moreover, follow the additional tips to secure your WordPress website even more and have a secured and smooth user experience.