Before being able to find Broken Links in WordPress, let’s get familiar with it. Broken links are a web page link that doesn’t work longer on the website by encountering different reasons. It’s really important to find out the broken links in the WordPress site as it will damage the ranking. These links also affect the SEO of the site. When a visitor recognizes that your site has a broken link, they will no longer explore the site. As a result, they will spend less time on your site which brings ineffectiveness to your site.
Let’s get to know about the statistics data of Broken Links from the screenshot below:
Broken links detect the following:
- Images missing in HTML
- 404 Not Found Pages
- Background Images in CSS are found missing and many others.
Method 1: Find Broken Links in WordPress Using a WordPress Plugin
Here, we will suggest you the easiest way to find the broken links in WordPress. Choose this method as it is the easiest one. It doesn’t require any kind of coding knowledge. It’s simple and effective at the same time. Let’s get started.
Using plugin is simply considered as the simplest way. Here, I am using the Broken Link Checker plugin. You don’t need to choose this plugin only. Make a choice of different plugins according to your preference and need in the WordPress site.
- First of all, Login to the Dashboard of the website. Then, Click on the button Plugins >> Add New. Search for the plugin that you want to install to your WordPress site.
- After getting to see the plugin, Click on the button Install Now and Activate the plugin. If you have any confusion while installing the plugin then go through install a new WordPress plugin.
- Now, after activating the plugin, Click on the button Tools. Then, Click on the button Broken Links to see all the internal and external broken links on the site.
- For fixing out the link, Click on the button Edit URL. Now add the correct link. Finally, Click on the button Update to save all the changes made in your site.
- Personally, I would suggest you disable the plugin after using it once. But if you want to activate it. Then, configure its settings before leaving it activated.
Method II: Use Screaming Frog Desktop Software
You can use Screaming Frog SEO Spider which is available for free.
- Use the Response Codes Setting. It will filter out all the 404 Pages. It uses Inlinks to discover the pages linked to the 404 pages.
Generally, I think that this is a less friendly method. Use this method if you are familiar with Screaming Frog.
Finding Broken Links is the first need in order to fix them. Fixing them will make your site much more effective and professional. In fact, finding Broken Links is a task of a couple of steps. Both methods don’t require any kind of coding knowledge. So, they are easy to deal with. Hope the information was useful. Please leave all of your suggestions, recommendations, and questions in the comment section below.