Want to start a blog, but are confused about which platform to use? Don’t worry here, I’ve made a list of some of the best blogging platforms. This blog will help you out to find the platform of your choice.
Whether you blog to connect with others, blog to express your passion for your hobbies, or blog to promote your business, blogging is a great way to connect with the world. Blogging is not just about writing but it is much more than that. So, it is very important to find the best platform for your site.
How to choose the Best Blogging platforms?
Before going through our list, it’s very important to know what you are looking in a blogging platform.
Beginners will need a simple, easy to set up and manage blogging solution. And also, the platform where the coding skills are not required. The platform should give support when they run into trouble.
Features and extendability
With the changing of time, you may like to redesign, modify, add features, or make some changes on your site. So, it is very necessary to have a good blogging platform.
Many people start their website in the thought of earning money. So, if you also think like that then choose the better platform that enables you to do in a way which works for you.
How much hands-on work does your blogging solution need? Does it take care of most of the activities and features for you, or do you have to do everything by hand? This will have a serious impact on your workflow.
You need to make sure that the blogging platform you chose fits within your budget. A free offer will worth nothing if there is nothing that you require.
Which are the Best Blogging Platforms?
There are many people who want to start their blog for many reasons. So, they will need something simple and easy to use platform where they won’t get any trouble while using it. Because of this, many blog platforms are now built with many useful features and tools. Here, I’ve tried to list down some of the best blogging platforms for beginners. Let’s check out:
WordPress.org is one of the most popular self-hosted blogging platforms for beginners. This platform powers above 30% of the world’s websites. Previously WordPress.org was built as a blogging platform but now it has transformed into a fully-fledged content management system. It is a self-hosted platform that gives you ultimate control and flexibility where you can create different types of websites like eCommerce stores, niche social networks, forums, and so on.
Note : Most of the time people get confused between WordPress.org nad WordPress.com so you need to go through this article The WordPress War – WordPress.com Vs WordPress.org before getting started.
- It gives you complete control over your blog.
- There are thousands of themes so use the one you like and create the look you want.
- You can enhance the look of your website by using different types of plugins.
- You can easily create eye-catching and captivating web pages, sales pages, or whatever you like as you have access to web page builders and landing page builders.
- You have to pay for the domain name and web hosting as it’s not free.
- It’s not always a beginner-friendly, there is a slight of a learning curve than other platforms.
- The security, backups and performance is your responsibility.
- You need to manage your blogs by yourself.
This software is free but to get started you need to pay for the domain name and web hosting. And also you need to pay for the premium themes and plugins that you choose to improve the flexibility of your blog.
Squarespace is simple and easy to use website builder that lets you create a beautiful website where coding skills are not required. But it excludes the use of any 3rd party extensions or apps. It offers a wide range of customization options so create the way you like. This website builder is the perfect choice for small business owners who are looking for simple and easy to use the builder for building the website for their online presence.
- It comes with beautifully designed templates that will make your website look more attractive.
- Squarespace is simple and easy to use the builder for those who are not friendly with the coding.
- It includes the hosting, custom domain and drag and drops features.
- You have the ability to add the store to your site.
- It is beginner-friendly and easy to use platform.
- There are limited marketing tools available.
- The 3rd party apps and extensions are not allowed.
- It is built-in SSL encryption and gives 24/7 support.
There are two types of plans available. The first one is Personal plan which will cost you $12 per month where you can build unlimited pages with unlimited bandwidth and storage. And the other one is a Business plan for $18 per month, here you can easily add an eCommerce storefront to your Squarespace website.
WordPress.com is the best free blogging platform which is not self-hosted and comes with many limitations. If you choose their free pan then you are subjected to unwanted advertisements on your website where you don’t have the ability to earn money. It gives you services like integrating your blog with social media, hosting, the ability to have a custom domain, and some popular features like comments and polls. This is the best blogging platform but it is not ideal if you want to change form blog to business. The options like custom themes, plugins and editing HTML are not available.
- The setup is not required and simple to use so you can easily start it in minutes.
- It includes the hosting with the free plan.
- You don’t have to worry about the site maintenance and will get dedicated support.
- The free plan has a limited feature so you need to upgrade the paid plan if you want more features.
- You are not allowed to monetize your free blog with affiliate marketing and Google Adsense.
- You don’t have your control over your website as it can be deleted if it’s deemed to be violating their terms.
The basic plan is for free that comes with many limitations. And if you want to connect a custom domain name and remove their ads and branding then you can select the Personal plan for $48 per year. Or want to monetize your site, then you’ll need to pay $96 per year for the Premium plan.
Want to have more features and unlimited storage space then you can choose the Business plan which will cost you $300 per year.
Medium is a popular online publishing platform that lets you import your content from anywhere on the web. It is an easy to use platform for building a great personal brand which has become a popular community for bloggers, writers, and journalists. It includes very limited social networking functions.
- It is an easy to use publishing platform where the coding skills and setup is not required.
- Medium comes with a reporting tool that lets you know how your site audience engages with your content.
- Basically it is a content type platform so you can write and they will handle the design.
- You have limited control over your content.
- There is no other way to transform your audience to other platforms.
- There are very limited marketing features and very rare customization options.
- They don’t offer a custom domain name.
It comes for free.
Tumblr is a platform where you can share your own content including photos, quotes, etc, and also you can “reblog” other people’s content too. It is one of the easy to use blogging platforms that exist. There are a variety of options for sharing and reblogging content. It includes a very limited number of free and premium themes for customizing your blogs. This platform has a community of users where people will read your content.
- It is easy to use and set up so it is simple and easy to manage your blog.
- There are many design opportunities and are easy to change.
- You can easily connect to social media platforms to your blog.
- You have the ability to customize your own page with Tumblr.
- It is easy to publish multimedia e.g. videos, GIFs, images and audio.
- It includes very limited features.
- It’s really difficult to back up your content and use it on different platforms.
- If you are thinking to earn money then you can’t monetize on this platform.
- The third-party must be purchased on this platform.
You can use Tumblr for free but you can use a custom domain for your blog.
Constant contact builder is an AI-powered builder that lets you build a website and a blog within a matter of minutes. You just need to sync the website builder with your Facebook page. After that, the builder will help you to select a template and form the content on your website. Also, you can easily create a blog with your Facebook page. This builder is perfect for those users who want to use the premium website builder to build a blog.
- Setting up a brand new blog is easier with this builder.
- Constant Contact comes with a free limited plan.
- It includes a free domain name and SSL certificate in their paid plan.
- This builder comes with features like eCommerce, analytics tracking, etc.
- It does not offer the essential features like their competitors.
- The 3rd party extensions are not allowed.
- Though it comes with a free plan, you will need a premium plan, if you want to connect your domain name with your website.
There are two plans one is free and another is premium. The free plan comes with a limited feature which is not a good choice for building an established site. And if you want to connect a domain name with your site, then you’ll have to purchase their Starter plan, which will cost you $10 per month.
Blogger is a free blogging platform where you can easily create a new blog without spending hours. You will need a Google account if you want to get started with Blogger as it is a Google-owned blogging platform. With this platform, you can monetize your blog with Affiliate marketing and Google Adsense. It is easy to use so many bloggers start with Blogger when they begin their blogging platform.
- It is a simple and easy to use platform where you can easily start a blog without paying.
- You can monetize your blog the way you want.
- It is owned by Google so it is secure and reliable.
- The hosting, maintenance, and other technicalities are taken care of.
- The customization and design options are limited.
- The new features and updates are scarce.
- There is zero integration with third-party apps and services.
- As Blogger is a Google service, the ads are displayed on your blog.
Blogger is a free blogging platform.
Typepad is a blogging platform that comes with many templates but very limited functionality. It comes with an easy-to-use interface for beginners and experienced bloggers. You don’t need to be an experienced one to create a blog with Typepad. You can find a wide range of themes and plugins so choose the one you prefer on your site.
- There are thousands of different templates is available where you can design your site beautifully.
- With Typepad, it is easy to set up your blog. Then you can connect it to Google Analytics in order to keep track of your visitor behaviour.
- It comes with unlimited storage space.
- Typepad is a hosted platform so it has very limited features and customization options.
- It offers only 14-day free trial because it is a paid platform.
- There will be restrictions on the number of blogs that you create.
It costs $8.95 per month to start a blog on Typepad. But if you want to create unlimited blogs, then you can subscribe to the Unlimited plan for $14.95 per month.
Weebly is a website building platform that offers a wide range of features. It comes with an easy to use drag and drop builder that lets you build a site quickly. If you want to create a professional-looking website for your small business then Weebly is the best choice for you. The keywords, meta description, a title can be customized easily. You will find very limited features and customization options in the free plan of Weebly.
- It comes with a free plan that lets you create a simple website on Weebly.com subdomain.
- Weebly is a user-friendly platform for both beginners as well as professionals.
- It includes a decent mobile app to run your site on the go.
- It is well known for SEO and integrates with Google analytics.
- There is a very limited number of third-party apps integration.
- It is really difficult to export your site to another platform.
- Weebly has low access to tools as it is compared to other platforms.
It is free but if you want to use Weebly with a custom domain then you need to pay $4 per month. And to remove their branded ads, you have to pay $8 per month.
Ghost is an open-source blogging software best suited for bloggers and publications that need seamless authoring experience. It also provides hosting for setting up a blog with unlimited space for $19 per month. Ghost is specially made to simplify the task of online publications and individual bloggers. It is best for beginners because of its ease of use and expert bloggers may prefer it because of its interface compared to other blogging services.
- It is free, simple, clean and easy to use interface.
- Ghost is built-in SEO and distribution tools.
- There is no need for setup for the hosted version.
- A limited number of themes and plugins are available in the market.
- The self-hosted version is difficult to set up.
- The running cost is expensive than WordPress.
You will need a custom domain for self-hosted that costs $14.99 per year and around $7.99 per month for web hosting.
The hosted version starts at $29 per month for 2 users up to 100,000 page views.
Which platform is best?
If you are really serious about blogging and looking for best blogging platforms, then I strongly recommend you to use WordPress.org and setup your self-hosting blog. It is the popular platform for monetizing blogs that provides many customization options, and powerful tools. Apart from WordPress.org, you can also go with Weebly, and Squarespace.