Do you want to know the basics of WordPress Penetration Testing?
37% of sites on the internet are running on WordPress. And every day, WordPress websites get hacked and defaced by hackers. It happens because they think it’s easy to hack a WordPress site. And…they’re right! Because of the sheer number of outdated themes & plugins used on WordPress sites today, all you need is one vulnerability in any plugin or theme to hack the site. Also, a WordPress site can be vulnerable to any number of attacks if not configured properly. A website might seem like it’s just a simple page on the internet. But in reality, it can be an entry point for criminals looking to exploit your systems and data.
The good news is that it’s easy to protect your WordPress website from hacking attempts. By having a comprehensive penetration test performed on your WordPress site, you can identify any potential vulnerabilities that might exist. You can also fix them before they are exploited.
WordPress penetration testing is an important part of site security. Many people don’t know what it is, or how to do it. This post will cover everything you need to know about WordPress penetration testing. It includes almost everything that is important for your website. So, let’s dig in.
What is WordPress Penetration Testing?
WordPress penetration testing is a method of detecting the security weaknesses in a website. It is done by simulating real-world hacking techniques and methods. These tests attempt to exploit vulnerabilities that hackers might use to gain unauthorized access to your site.
Penetration testing can be performed on any website but is especially important for WordPress websites. As mentioned earlier, 37% of all websites are running on WordPress, making it a prime target for hackers. And because WordPress is so popular, many hackers have developed tools and techniques specifically designed to hack WordPress sites.
A good penetration test will simulate these attacks and identify any vulnerabilities that might exist on your site. It will also provide you with a report outlining the findings and recommendations for fixing the vulnerabilities. This report can then be used to fix the issues and help secure your website.
Why Perform WordPress Penetration Testing?
There are many reasons why you should perform WordPress penetration testing on your website, but here are just a few:
- To find & fix vulnerabilities before hackers exploit it.
- Comply with industry regulations or standards like PCI DSS or HIPAA
- To improve the overall security posture of your organization
- Secure your own and your customers’ sensitive data stored in your site
How Often You Should Perform WordPress Penetration Tests?
The frequency of WordPress penetration tests you should perform really depends on the sensitivity of data stored on your site. It also depends on the level of risk you’re willing to accept. Every penetration test will produce a different result. Just decide if the vulnerabilities discovered are worth fixing or not.
Penetration Testing Methodology for WordPress: How To Do It?
Now that you understand why WordPress penetration testing is so important. Let’s take a look at how you can choose to do it with a penetration testing methodology.
There are many different ways of conducting a penetration test. You can do it from manual testing all the way up to automated scanning using tools like Astra Pentest.
Manual Penetration Testing for WordPress Sites: This involves performing an actual hack on your website by following specific steps and procedures used by hackers to compromise websites. While this method gives you the best results, it takes lots of time and technical skills. It also requires great effort & expertise if done manually without any automation or scripts.
Automated Vulnerability Scanning For WordPress Sites: The alternative approach is to use some sort of automated tool (like Astra Pentest) which can scan your site quickly and automatically for vulnerabilities. This is the easiest and most economical way of performing a penetration test on your website, but might not always provide you with accurate or reliable results.
Best WordPress Penetration Testing Tools
All kind of web application security scanners is not created equally. Here are some of our favorites:
- Astra Pentest – Astra Pentest is a powerful, yet easy to use vulnerability scanning and both manual and automated pen testing tool that can scan your WordPress site for vulnerabilities in minutes. It’s also the only pentesting tool on the market that offers both automated scanning and manual penetration testing capabilities.
- Acunetix WP Scan – This free tool is perfect for novice users as it doesn’t require any technical knowledge. It scans your website for known vulnerabilities like outdated plugins & themes, and provides you with a report that outlines the security issues found on your site.
- Burp Suite Pro – This paid tool offers real-time vulnerability detection and goes above and beyond what other tools can do by testing against all potential vulnerabilities. It’s perfect for organizations who want to ensure their website is secure from hackers.
- WPScan – Novice users and more experienced pentesters use it. This is possible due to its detailed documentation. It’s perfect for finding low-hanging fruit like hidden settings pages that are accessible without authentication, brute forcing usernames and passwords, and much more.
How much does a professional WordPress penetration testing cost?
The cost of professional WordPress penetration testing can vary depending on the size and complexity of your website, as well as the level of security assessment you require. Generally speaking, expect to pay anywhere from $500 – $5000 for a comprehensive pentesting engagement.
WordPress penetration testing is an important step in ensuring the security of your website and its data. Find and fix vulnerabilities so they can’t be exploited by hackers. By doing this you can protect your site (and customers) from costly attacks. While manual testing provides the best results, it’s often time-consuming and requires technical skills. Automated vulnerability scanning is a more economical option that provides accurate results, but may not always find all vulnerabilities. When choosing a tool, make sure to consider the size and complexity of your website, as well as the level of security assessment required.
Penetration testing is an important security measure for any WordPress site owner. It helps you identify vulnerabilities and improve your site’s defenses to protect against hackers, data theft, or other malicious attacks. If you’re concerned about the safety of your website then it may be time to call in a professional penetration tester today.